This neighborhood is named after Billy Caldwell, also known as Sauganash (meaning “English talking”). The “Treaty Elm” which stood until the 1930s was initially used in the first and second authorities surveys of the reserve. Sauganash negotiated with the United States Of America for the United Nations of the Chippewa, Ottawa and Potawotomi. In return for his services, the US gave 1600 acres to him to the Chicago River.
Now the neighborhood hosts three churches: Sauganash Community Church, a non-denominational Protestant church; Bride of Christ Church; and Queen of Saints, a Roman Catholic Basilica. The Sauganash residential area has many identifying homes. It also had large tracts of prairie land until the mid-1950s. Commerce Clearing House, a publisher of external law reports, is located near Sauganash, and Walgreen Drug Stores’ corporate headquarters used to be located near Sauganash.
The Sauganash area is bordered by Devon Ave. to the North, Bryn Mawr Ave. to the South, the Edens Expressway (Interstate 94) to the West, and The Valley Line bike path to the East. Devon Avenue marks the northern boundary of the town limit of Chicago at this time. The suburb of Lincolnwood begins north of Devon Ave.
The Area of Sauganash Park lies east of the Valley Line trail.
LaBagh Woods forest preserve is straight south of Sauganash.